Install Cygwin on Windows NT/2000/XP This document describes the install procedure Cygwin to make Cygwin run on Windows 2000 Professional using an NTFS file system.
1. First download the setup executable form http://www.cygwin.com/setup.exe
2. Run setup and use it to download everything to a local drive
3. Run setup again and install from your local cache into which must be an NTFS file system to gain full flexibility
4. When that is finished edit the system environment to create/edit a CYGWIN variable with a value of (as a minimum) 'tty ntsec' and ensure that the variable PATH includes On Windows 2000 you get to the environment by selecting:
6. To be able to send email from the Cygwin box run the script ssmtp-config. The script will ask simple questions and will will make /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf.
The Cygwin crond uses ssmtp to send its mail, so ensure you do this if you want to run crond (below).
If you want to send email using mutt (a great little mailer) then you will need to put this line into your ~/.muttrc
7. Use this to install and start a cron deamon:
8. Use this to install and start sshd:
Remember, your system environment variable PATH must include or inetd will not be able to find the cigwin1.dll