This document describes the install procedure Cygwin to make Cygwin run on Windows 2000 Professional using an NTFS file system.
1. First download the setup executable form http://www.cygwin.com/setup.exe
2. Run setup and use it to download everything to a local drive
3. Run setup again and install from your local cache into C:\cygwin
which must be an NTFS file system to gain full flexibility
4. When that is finished edit the system environment to create/edit a CYGWIN variable with a value of (as a minimum) 'tty ntsec' and ensure that the variable PATH includes C:/cygwin/bin.
On Windows 2000 you get to the environment by selecting:
My computer | Properties | Advanced | Environmental Variables
- Note that the PATH environment variable change will not get to your SYSTEM user (the one which services are run under) until you reboot your computer
5. You can now launch Cygwin from the Start menu or icon on your desktop
6. To be able to send email from the Cygwin box run the script ssmtp-config. The script will ask simple questions and will will make /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf.
The Cygwin crond uses ssmtp to send its mail, so ensure you do this if you want to run crond (below).
If you want to send email using mutt (a great little mailer) then you will need to put this line into your ~/.muttrc
7. Use this to install and start a cron deamon:
cygrunsrv -I cron -p /usr/sbin/cron.exe -a -D -d "CYGWIN cron"
cygrunsrv -S cron
8. Use this to install and start sshd:
chown system.system /etc/ssh_host*_key
chmod 600 /etc/ssh_host*_key
cygrunsrv -I sshd -p /usr/sbin/sshd -a '-D' -y LanmanWorkstation (or -y Tcpip, maybe...) -d 'CYGWIN sshd'
cygrunsrv -S sshd
- Remember, you must run Cygwin on an NTFS file system and the system environment variable CYGWIN must include ntsec for this to work, sshd is very picky about the permissions on its files.
9. Use this to install and start a inetd:
echo "/bin/false" > /etc/shells
vi /etc/inetd.conf (and comment/uncomment the services you require)
net start "CYGWIN inetd"
Remember, your system environment variable PATH must include C:/cygwin/bin
or inetd will not be able to find the cigwin1.dll